WHAT ARE WE UP TO?
Upcoming Programs and Activities
- LIPTSA membership voted to endorse the LISD Capital Improvements Levy. Please reach out if you would like to work on this campaign over the summer!
Endorsement Statement, July 23, 2021:
Lopez Island Community,
Our membership voted to endorse the Lopez Island School District Capital Levy. This levy supports the children/youths that are so important to our organization and community. The levy will provide a much needed upgrade to the school’s aging water system and support preventive capital maintenance projects in order to keep our facilities in good repair over time. The school’s funding structure has been challenged by 2017 legislation which disallowed collection of taxpayer approved funds for the general fund. Rather than using general fund money, which directly supports critical instructional programs, this levy will help fund specific infrastructure improvements. These funds will help ensure a safe environment for students to learn, explore and create.
Whether you have a child in school or not, we all value our community and its future. Please support the education and well-being of Lopez’s next generation by voting for the Capital Levy this August 3rd.
Lopez Island Parent Teacher Student Association (LIPTSA) Executive Board
Lopez Island Parent Student Teacher Association (LIPSTA) is a member-run, non-profit organization in support of Lopez Island School students. We formed our organization to help create a community of cooperation and build bridges between the school and families.
Accomplishments/Engagements this Year
- Fall Festival, Pumpkin Carving and Online Contest
- LISD Rishii Center Pond Cleaning
- Back-to-School Clothing Swap
- Support of LISD Technology Levy
- Ongoing Teacher + Staff Appreciations Campaign
- Lobo Love Event
- School Beautification - assisted the school with a few beautification projects to help welcome students back
- May 3-7 Staff Appreciation Week
Advocacy this Year
- Endorsement and advocacy of the LISD Technology Levy
- Recipient of National PTA grant to assist with Covid relief to support social emotional learning and mental health of students by helping set up an out door program and working with the Lopez Library to establish a New Games Library
Our LIPSTA was also the recipient of a National PTA grant to assist with Covid relief. We worked with LISD and community organizations to identify social emotional learning and mental health as the areas in need of support.
What Did we Accomplish for students with the Grant?
1) Outdoor Classroom / Social and Emotional teaching and learning materials for use by
teachers and students, outside, all year round.
2) Mental health / social and emotional games (age appropriate for K-12 students)
purchased for a NEW 'Games Library' housed at the Lopez Island Library to support students / families in our school community who are much in need of stimulation for their kids.